Each year, homeowners planning to downsize, upsize, or move to a new neighborhood, are faced with a timely decision: sell their house during the holidays or wait. While others who have had their homes already listed for months, may consider removing their listings and waiting until the New Year to go back on the market (fresh start, anyone?). Despite the busyness of the season, the truth is that many serious home shoppers still want to purchase a home for the holidays, and your house might be just what they’re looking for. So if you’re on the fence about putting your house on the market, here are five great reasons you shouldn’t wait.
1. Most experts will still agree that today’s housing market still favors sellers namely due to the supply of homes still being low. In fact, according to Fannie Mae’s September 2022 Home Purchase Sentiment Index, about 59 percent of consumers still believe that, despite the fluctuating market conditions, now is a good time to sell. However, with the recent increases in interest rates, it may be better to sell sooner rather than later.
2. Regardless of what you might think, or what you read on social media, serious homebuyers are still out there. The Millennial generation is driving homebuying demand and isn’t afraid to push the boundaries of home ownership. According to a recent article by Forbes.com, at 80 million strong, millennials are quite literally shaping the next frontier of the home-buying process simply due to their eagerness to become homeowners.
3. The desire to be a homeowner doesn’t stop during the holidays. In fact, homes decorated for the holidays may even attract many buyers, so long as you don’t go overboard with the Santa & Rudolph decorations. Plus, purchasers who look for homes during the holidays are ready to buy. As we mentioned above, serious homebuyers will continue to shop through the holidays. Especially those that have been shopping for months, even years, trying to find the perfect home.
4. If you’re afraid that selling your home during the holidays can be invasive, keep in mind that you get to set the schedule for showing your house. That can help you minimize disruptions, which is especially important during this busy time of year.
5. We have seen rent prices increase drastically over the past couple of years and many potential buyers have had enough. You don’t want to miss out on shoppers who are looking to escape the rising rent prices and who are trying to avoid having to sign another year-long lease. Your home could be their ticket to leaving renting behind for good.
There are many reasons to not wait to list your house, so don’t let the hustle & bustle of the holiday season deter you from getting it on the market!